Trim, Co. Meath

Introduction | Religion, History & Culture In Trim
View Of Trim Castle
Places Of Worship
St. Patrick's Church: Dates from 1891, when the first stone was laid - it was finished in 1902. It is a gothic style church with spectacular stained glass windows. The marble altars were made by Pearse Brothers, one of whom was the father of Padraig Pearse.

St. Patrick's Cathedral: The tower and the ruins date back to the 15th century. It was reconstructed in 1802 and in 1955 was raised to the status of Cathedral. The porch contains a number of mediŠval tombstones dating from 1458.

Cemeteries & Graveyards
The Maudlins Cemetery, Dublin Road - Paupers burial ground in the late 1700s.
St. Lomans Cemetary New Haggard Road Trim was consecrated in 1924.
St. Patricks Cathedral's graveyard dates from the 1400s and is still in use.

Wellington Column was erected in 1817 in honour of the Duke of Wellington by the contributions of the people of County Meath. Born as Arthur Wesley in 1769 he spent part of his childhood in Trim even starting his political career there. He became Prime Minister of England in 1828.

Cultural Events, Groups & Locations
Scurlogstown Olympiad: June
Trim Vintage Car Rally: July
Royal Meath Agricultural Show: September
St. Patricks Day Parade: March
Trim Visitor Centre, Castle Street, Trim. A multi-lingual/multi-media exhibition on the colourful origins and history of Trim,

Historic Records
Meath Geneaology Centre: Trim Town Hall, Castle Street Tel: +353 (0) 46 9436633.

Local folklore has it that if you leave a pin between the figures on the tomb of Sir Lucas Dillion and his wife your warts will dissapear as the pin rusts! The tomb is located at Newtown Trim and is locally known as "The Jealous Man and Woman".

Click On An Image To Enlarge
Trim Castle
Trim Castle
Bridge Over The Boyne
Bridge Over The Boyne
The Yellow Steeple
The Yellow Steeple
Irish Towns With A Unique Historic Character And A Link To Ireland's Celtic Past
Website By: Déise Design